Graphene based hair dyes
In this area, we aim to use materials innovations to address safety, health and sustainability concerns in cosmetic and beauty products, and to render them new functionalities for enhanced quality of living.
Graphene-based sheets can be used to formulate safer-to-use hair dyes, avoid the use of unpleasant or even toxic chemical ingredients in common hair dyes.
Leveraging graphene’s high surface area, flexibility, electrical and thermal conductivity, antibacterial and barrier properties, multifunctional hair dyes can be created, rendering tunable hair color as well as enhanced human comfort, health and aesthetics.
Other than fashion and aesthetics, graphene-coated conductive hair could also potentially benefit the development of electronics interfacing with the body, as well as livestock farming and the development of humanoid robots.
- “Multifunctional Graphene Hair Dye” Chem, 2018, 4, 784-794
- Chem: Dyeing Your Hair with Graphene
- The New York Times: In search of the perfect hair dye
- BBC Inside Science – Buzz kill: March 15, 2018 episode (A fun interview with Prof. Huang starts around the 16 min).
- NPR – Science Friday: March 16, 2018 episode
- Daily Mail: The holy grail of hair colour
- Huffington Post (UK): How Graphene Could Allow You To Dye Your Hair Without Damaging It
- 新华社： 新型石墨烯染发剂
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC): Graphene dye: The super-material that turns your hair black and tames flyaways
- Fast Company – CO.DESIGN: Graphene Hair Dye Is Coming, And It Looks Incredible
- Science: Enough with the toxic hair dyes. We could use graphene instead
- C&E News: Graphene hair dye fights unsightly flyaways
- Chemistry World: Healthier hair in just 10 minutes with graphene dye
- Allure: Graphene Allows You to Safely Dye Your Hair Black and Tame Flyaways, Says Study
- Refinery29: Scientists Have Found A Way To Dye Hair Without Any Damage
- Teen Vogue: Researchers Determine Graphene Works as a Hair Dye